Ah, yes. Another birthday, another year older. 23 has been a tricky year. I feel like once you hit 23, people start expecting you to be a full blown adult. In my case, this was not what happened. And here I am 24 today and I still don’t have my life together which really made me think about some of the lessons I’ve learned in my 23 years of life. I wanted to share those lessons with everyone else in their 20’s because who knows, maybe they’ll be useful. Or at least someone won’t feel like they’re the only one’s who feel this way.
1. It’s okay to be on a different career path than everyone else. There’s enough doctors in the world anyways, right?
2. Spend more time with your family and friends. They’re the ones that matter most
3. It’s okay if friendships end. Whether you were friends for 10 years or 2 months, things change. People change. Some friendships are meant to come to an end. And it might hurt. But it’s happening for a reason
4. Let’s be honest, your body is not what it was in high school. Your metabolism is going to slow down and you are going to slowly gain some lbs. If you’re 23 and this hasn’t happened to you than congrats, you’re an alien, go eat more donuts for the rest of us.
5. Going to bed at 9 o’clock doesn’t make you an old lady. It’s worth it if it means you get a full 8 hours of sleep
6. Life happens a lot quicker than you expect. Sure, every year that goes by we all talk about how fast it flew by but when you wake up and you’re turning 24 even though it just felt like you were turning 21, you start to really believe it
7. Stressing out about the trials that life gives you isn’t going to make them go away. It’s only going to make them feel harder
8. Being selfish is okay!!!! In fact, now’s the time to be selfish
9. It’s okay to be single. It’s okay to be in a relationship. It’s okay to not be married or have kids. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn’t mean it’s the right thing for you right now. In fact, the older I get, the more I am wanting to put it all off. It happens.
10. Comparing yourself to others only makes life harder. Sure there are always going to be people who are more successful or “better looking” but they aren’t you. And as hard as it may be to believe, everyone has their own insecurities. The people that you look up to have their own issues they struggle with. The grass is always greener on the other side. You’re better off using the comparison to better yourself rather than bring yourself down
11. No money isn’t everything. But it is a lot. And when you don’t have it, you get anxious. So start saving more.
12. Stay organized. You’re getting too old to have everything in a jumbled mess
13. You have to learn to love yourself at some point. You can’t rely on other’s to feed you the love that you should be feeding yourself. And it’s okay to spend time alone. In fact, it can be very therapeutic.
14. You can’t control everything, no matter how hard you try. You can plan things all you want but sometimes life has a different plan for you
15. Be mindful with who you share your personal information with
16. Just because some unfortunate things happened in your past doesn’t mean that they’re going to determine your future. There’s no sense in worrying about things that have already happened. Focus on the here and now
17. The trial that feels like the end of the world right now is most likely going to feel like nothing in a matter of time. Life goes on. The hardships become a thing of the past eventually. Time heals all wounds.
18. Don’t spend all of your time on your phone. Social media doesn’t run your life.
19. Travel as much as you can. Whether it be 1 hour out of town or out of the country. You learn so much about yourself and the world when you’re not in the comfort of your own home. I’d rather spend money on the memories rather than the materialistic goods.
20. Stop looking at the negative in everything. Life becomes much harder if you’re a pessimist. Choose to be an optimist. There’s a silver lining to everything.
21. You can always change something. Don’t like your hair? Change it. Don’t like where you live? Move. Aren’t happy in your job? Find a better one. It’s up to you to make these decisions.
22. Never hold back your true emotions and feelings. This is only going to lead to a bigger argument. Be open with your communication and never apologize for feeling a certain way.
23. Life may seem pretty great right now but you’re just getting started. There’s so much to look forward to3